Universal Credit - Changes to rent

If you’re on Universal Credit, and claiming housing costs to pay your rent, you must let the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) know of this change in your rent.

To make this easier for you, the DWP will send you a ‘To Do’ notification to your journal in the first week of April 2020.

You must complete the ‘To Do’ before the end of your Universal Credit assessment period in April 2020 or you will miss out on the money you are due.

Unfortunately, we can’t tell the DWP on your behalf, but if you need help with your journal please speak to your housing officer.

If you don’t tell the DWP about your rent rise, your Universal Credit won’t be increased to cover your new rent and you could miss out on benefits you are due.

You can find more information about Universal Credit on our website at 'Universal Credit - What is it?' and in our Universal Credit/welfare benefit  Frequently Asked Questions section.

If you receive Housing Benefit you don’t need to do anything. Your benefit will be automatically updated.

If you pay by standing order you need to speak to your bank about increasing your payment.

Make sure you include your rent reference number so your payment reaches your account without delay.